So now that I'll be working more or less full time I'm finally a real adult, right? Right??
Things haven't panned out like I imagined. Not to say that things are bad.
But I'm currently working part time in 4 different jobs.
I know this may sound like complete madness for some people, but the fact is I'm still a dentist at each of these jobs, so really the only difference is the location and the people I work with. And considering dental teams are quite small, I don't mind widening my network by working in multiple practices. Thus far, I think it's been really good experience working in multiple practices. I've begun to learn what I like and don't like.
I'm not money driven in my job. I would never push patients into treatment that I did not think they needed. Otherwise, I would not be able to sleep at night. There was once instance where I jumped the gun and recommended a crown when it was not 100% needed, in the moment I was not thinking straight. I allowed my patient's fear of a filling not lasting cloud my judgement. But can I say I did an excellent job of giving her all the facts the next visit and together we decided to delay a crown until when the filling fails again. And I felt good.
I'm off track. Basically, because I'm not a liar and a thief, the only way I see myself making more money in my profession is (a) if I learn to do more complex procedures or (b) if I work more hours. Currently I'm aiming to get the basics down pat so I'm putting a raincheck on (a). That leaves me with (b). Am I crazy for now working 6 days a week, as well as one of those days being a 8am-8pm working day? And possibly picking up more hours so that I'll also have a 8am to 9pm day too?
Ugh, I really don't know what to do. As I said I'm not money driven but I want to help my parents out. They've truly sacrificed so much to provide me with every opportunity in life. Also, I do want to be able to enjoy nice things too.
I think I can do it. I've always worked hard. If anything, I enjoy working. I hate when I have to much free time because it feels like it's being wasted (hence me working every Saturday and Sunday during dental school).
Worse case if my next post is about me burning out. Someone remind me that I can always cut down on my hours, leave one of my jobs etc. if needed.
Wish me luck,
Love Lisa.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love reading your thoughts and comments. I'll reply to any questions as best as I can! :)