Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Namaste

How has it been nearly a month since I returned from Nepal.

I should have written a diary because so much and so little happened. My memory is so terrible these days, is it age, is it the sleep deprivation, is it stress? Most likely a combination of all three.

Volunteering was an experience like no other. It definitely opened my eyes to a whole new world.
Besides the 6 of us from Melbourne, the other students were from Griffith University. And they were all so so lovely. We became so close on that trip, that parting with them and realising they'd be in Queensland was almost hard to accept.

Nepalese people are so welcoming and beautiful, especially the children.
Can I say how much of a fan of Nepalese food I am? MoMos and celebration bread come at me.
Besides treating patients (which was so intense I could spend an hour talking about it), Around Good People organised some more touristy/sight seeing activities as well. We rode elephants, went on a safari trek and canoed.

Here is my video compilation. It was my first ever attempt at making a video so please forgive the quality of footage and editing.



Not everything was sunshine and goats. I did get quite ill for 48 hours or so. Still not sure whether it was food poisoning, gastro or what. It wasn't pretty.

Right before leaving for the trip I had so many doubts in my mind. But all my fears were misplaced. For anyone thinking about volunteering, do it. Especially if you are working in a health profession in the future. Don't be scared.

The only problem returning to Australia was that I felt really disillusioned. I'm not sure what it was exactly, but how developed and modern our country was felt so fake and all my problems seemed meaningless.

It's hard to explain, but overall it was a very humbling and worthwhile experience.

Love Lisa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts and comments. I'll reply to any questions as best as I can! :)