I've recently re-discovered my love of physics and cosmology.
And this discovery has left me a little confused and sad.
I'm second-guessing myself constantly as to whether dentistry for the rest of my life is truly viable.
Maybe it's because I feel so incompetent at the moment and this is why I'm having doubts.
On the other hand, I truly do have an interest in physics. Learning it in high school was the opposite of a chore, I couldn't put textbooks down. The concept of special relativity still makes me catch my breath (very dramatic but I'm a geek at heart after all). But I suppose how could I ever make a career out of it? Yes, I have a keen interest but I'm no scientist, trying to understand equations is mind-boggling enough for me, let alone actually discovering anything of value.
I think I feel sad because I don't think I'm capable of mastering anything. But have I put 10,000 hours into anything in my life? I tried very hard at learning to play the piano, spent nearly 10 years trying. Sure, I progressed, but the struggle was almost unnatural.
I've always been a fairly slow learner but I genuinely feel that I'm getting slower. And perhaps it's not unreasonable considering that at age 23, my mental capacity has actually peaked and passed. I'm not making the most of the best years of my life. Not at all.
Now that's a depressing and terrifying thought.
Let's sleep on it so I can have another restless night,
Love Lisa.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love reading your thoughts and comments. I'll reply to any questions as best as I can! :)