Sunday, October 18, 2015

10km Achievement Unlocked

Holy, soo the 5.7km race filled out by the time I could go and switch.
I thought I was doomed that I had to run 10km..I had not prepared for this at all.
First thing, the road closures made it bloody difficult to figure out how to get to MCG Gate 1 where the baggage drop off was..even more so since I have nooo sense of direction.
So I saw people with the same bibs as me near Hisense Arena, and decided to follow them as they had bags and looked like they knew what they were doing. Next thing I know I'm watching the Marathon runners start their race and I'm no where near the MCG yet.
After a confused daze I managed to find my way there. Eventually met up with Wendy and we were making our way to the start line.

My plan of attack was just to go at a very slow jog and go for as long as I could.
I guessed I could do 6-7km.

Next thing you know I'm at the 5km mark and I'm not even the slightest bit tired. How this was possible, I still don't know. Around 7km my right ankle was aching, I had a blister on my left foot that I was making me run with a slight limp but still, I didn't feel too tired. It was incredible.
The last kilometre was the most difficult, I was so close but so far. When we entered the MCG I took started running fairly fast as I thought I saw the finish line, I passed what I thought was the finish line and started slowing to a walk. then I look at the other side of the MCG and realise I'm hundred of metres off the actual finish line. Now at this point I was breathing hard as I had now used up 90% of my energy. Managed to make it to the real finish line at a decently paced run but by the end of it I was seeing stars.

Official finishing time of 1 hour 18 minutes. I know this is quite slow in the whole scheme of things but prior to this I had never run more than 5km in my entire life. So all in all, I'm very proud of myself for running the entire 10km.

Love Lisa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts and comments. I'll reply to any questions as best as I can! :)