Tuesday, October 20, 2015

I Can't Even

Look, I'm am all not for racism, sexism and all forms of discrimination but some people are taking completely normal questions and turning it into some sort of insult in their mind.

If someone asks me where my parents are from, or what my background is, how is this racism or offensive in any way? As I look Asian, there is a high chance my parents immigrated here from another country. However, when people talk to me for a length then proceed to ask me where I am from, this can get on my nerves a little. It's more polite to ask what my background is. Semantics, I know. But always better to err on the side of caution.

On the flip side, if people are saying ching chong and nihao to me, then yes I do classify this as racism. Even the people who are saying ni hao in a genuinely nice way, they are so so misguided in the assumption that 1. I can't speak English, 2. I'm Chinese.

But you are Chinese, you might say. Well, yes sure I am (let's not get too technical here). But I never assume someone wasn't born and raised Australian just because they don't appear to be Anglo saxon.

You know, use your brains people, please. And I refer to both sides when I say this.

/end rant

Love Lisa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts and comments. I'll reply to any questions as best as I can! :)